Monday, August 20, 2018

Personal // Benjamins of Beni


I shot this series a couple of years ago in the town of Beni, North Kivu, Democratic Republic of Congo. I was there on a NGO job and started to notice the art work on these money changers stalls, portrait of Benjamin Franklin. One day, when we didn't have anything else scheduled in, I was able to head off with my fixer and start photographing some of these places. After about half an hour of shooting two plain clothes 'police' on a scooter pulled up and started giving us hassle, so we spent the next half an hour trying to extricate ourselves from two chancers who were clearly looking for a bribe. Ever since then these images have just been sat on my hard drive so I thought it was high time I got them up on here. 












No comments: