Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Personal Work: Gauchos




At the beginning of 2018 I was able to take some time to visit a part of the world which I have yet to really get the grips with as much as I would like, South America. I have had assignments in Central America before (Guatemala and Mexico) but as a region it’s not somewhere I have really got to explore yet. I was lucky enough to travel on the maiden voyage of a new route for Norwegian Airlines as they flew their first direct flight London Gatwick to Beaunos Aires. The assignment that took me there was a story on the Iberรก region, and I teamed up with the writer Amanda Barnes for this. Once done on that assignment, we took an extra couple of weeks to shoot a story on Gaucho culture.  We covered everything from the gauchos of the wetlands who have learnt to swim with their horses, to the horse whisperers of the La Pampa and the hardy Gauchos of Patagonian wilderness

I have since turned this into a self published book and you can purchase a copy of that here. To see more of this project as it is on the website click here.










Once again if you are interested in buying copy of the book you can find it here



2 comments:

John Stember said...

Hey Greg, stumbled upon your work by way of photoeditor. What medium was this project shot on? Film or digital? What lenses do you carry along for something like this?

Greg Funnell said...

Hi John, This was shot on digital - Canon 5D mkIII's. I tend to use prime lenses - mainly the Canon 35mm f1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, and the Canon 85mm f/1.2. I also use the Canon 24-70II f/2.8 a lot - it's great lens. I did shoot some film work on my trusty Widelux but that work doesn't fit so well with the project.